My top five ways for being a healthier person:
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Especially for those of you that work-out regularly and exercise outside during these hot summer months. Water helps your skin stay youthful and keeps the nutrients flowing throughout your body. I drink a minimum of ten 8 oz. glasses of water a day.
- Be physically active everyday for at least 60 minutes. Exercise, walking, running outside with your kids, gardening, even golf. These activities have been proven to help keep your heart strong and release stress. My favorite physical activity is High Intensity Circuit Training and running around my backyard with my sons, Max and Will.
- Eat the recommended amount of vegetables and fruit every day. These are high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Fruits and vegetables will certainly help to keep your energy levels high throughout the day. My favorite veggies are broccoli, spinach, and brussel sprouts. My favorite fruits are bananas and any type of berries.
- Get your sleep! Most Americans are not getting the recommended amount of sleep, which is 7-8 hours a day. A good night’s sleep helps to energize your body for the next day, helps the body to repair and regrow cells, and helps to keep your immune system strong. My work day starts at 5:45 a.m. every week day. Therefore, I wake up at 4:40 a.m. Getting to bed by 9:00 p.m is essential for me to get enough sleep (7.5 hrs) to make it through a long day of training 8-10 clients.
- Have a happy and positive attitude. Negative stress can have a very negative effect on our bodies. Stress can actually increase the risk of heart attacks and cancers. At the end of the day, reflect on your life and think about all the joys you encounter. For me, my joys are: my two sons, my beautiful wife Stacie, our wonderful families and friends, my fun and loyal clients, sharing my knowledge of fitness and exercise, and a big glass of wine!
These are my top five ways for being a healhier person. What are yours?