Reduce your BMI by knowing and incorporating the components of physical fitness into your daily exercise routine. Learn more about the 11 components of physical fitness by clicking here.
BMI Categories from the National Center for Health Statistics:
- Adult (18 and older) BMI values less than 18.5 are considered underweight.
- Adult BMI values from 18.5 to 24.9 are healthy.
- Overweight is defined as a BMI of 25.0 to less than 30.0. Adults with a BMI in this range are at greater risk of developing heart disease.
- Obesity is defined as a BMI of 30.0 or greater for adults over the age of 18. People with a BMI in this range are at greater risk of cardiovascular disease, strokes, diabetes, and joint problems.
- Extreme obesity is defined as a BMI of 40 or greater.
- Obesity for children aged 10 years is defined as a BMI of 24.11 for females and 24.00 for males.
- Obesity for children aged 15 years is defined as a BMI of 29.11 for females and 28.30 for males.